Last Updated Feb 17, 2014
Note: Sites that no longer exist are in italics but left for reference.
About a year ago I gave an informal tips session at the Association of Independent Information Professionals (AIIP). It went over well and I decided to keep the pdf handout updated. I’ve always had an interest in Twitter and the various tools that make utilizing the service easier and more efficient.
If you’d like to learn more about using Twitter and social media in general, I am teaching a workshop Apr 3, 2013 in Denver at the Westin Downtown.
If your favorite Twitter related service hasn’t been mention, feel free to leave a comment.
You can also download a pdf copy of 66 Twitter Tool You Should Know About
All services are free unless otherwise noted. “Enterprise level” services or those that automate following/unfollowing are not listed.
- HootSuite: www.hootsuite.com A dashboard to view and organize your tweets. Free & paid options.
- Buffer: www.bufferapp.com Allows you to cue and schedule tweets. Very flexible. Free & paid options.
- InboxQ: Find people asking questions about things you know (site no longer exists).
- TweetWhen: www.tweetwhen.com From HubSpot. Shows you what days and times get the most retweets.
- Tweriod: www.tweriod.com shows you when the best time of day to tweet is, based on when your followers are most active. Can take a while to process.
These aren’t as useful as they once were now that Twitter allows users to download all their old tweets.
- BackUpify: www.backupify.com Free & paid.
- TweetBackUp: www.tweetbackup.com Free backup of your tweets.
- Twitter Advanced Search: twitter.com/search-advanced Often overlooked but very powerful searching capabilities.
- SocialMention www.socialmention.com Real-time social media search and analysis (not just for Twitter).
- TweetGrid: www.tweetgrid.com Twitter search dashboard that updates in real time.
- Topsy: www.topsy.com Real-time search for the social web. Google for the social web.
- Postpost: www.postpost.com A tool that helps you to discover interesting tweets that might otherwise have been buried. (site no longer exists)
- Monitter: www.monitter.com Real time twitter search tool that enables you to monitor a set of keywords on twitter.
- Klout: www.klout.com measures your influence on your social networks.
- Kred kred.com Another good influence measurement company.
- TweetLevel: tweetlevel.edelman.com (currently undergoing change )
Tracks our influence and shows the algorithm used to calculate it. Free and paid.
- PeerIndex: www.peerindex.com Measures influence by topic and person, etc.
- TweetGrader: tweet.grader.com Check the power of your twitter profile. Not always reliable recently.
- RetweetRank: www.retweetrank.com Tracks your rank and retweets.
- Bit.ly: www.bit.ly Track information you post to Twitter by costume URLs.
- SocialBro: www.socialbro.com Powerful Twitter analysis. Free &paid.
- TwentyFeet: www.twentyfeet.com Helps you keep track of your own social media activities and monitor your results from different services all in one place. Free & paid.
- Tweetstats: www.tweetstats.com Graph your tweets by time, day of week, etc.
- SocialBackers: www.socialbakers.com Global twitter stats.
- Tweetreach: www.tweetreach.com tells you who’s talking about it, how many people saw it, and who those people are
- Twitalzyer: www.twitalyzer.com Provides activities analysis of any Twitter user and gives a profile. Some free tools but basically a paid service.
- ManageFlitter: www.manageflitter.com Powerful Twitter account management Free & paid.
- KnowYourFollowers (formerly Schmap): www.knowyourfollowers.com Analysis of followers by location, gender, family status, likes & interests, profession, etc.
- Trendastic (formerly Twist): trendistic.indextank.com Trends of keywords or product name. (site no longer exists)
- TwittURL: www.twitturly.com Tracks popular URLs on Twitter.
- BrandTweet (formerly TwitterFriends) stats.brandtweet.com focuses on conversation & information aspects of Twitter users’s behaviors.
- TweetEffect: www.tweeteffect.com Find out which of your updates made people follow or leave you.
- WhoTweetedMe: whotweetedme.com Analyze a URL and show you its most influential retweeters, potential reach and timeline.
- Retweetist: www.retweetist.com What people think is worth retweeting right now. Will reopen Apr 30, 2013.
- PeopleBrowser: rs.peoplebrowsr.com Gathers stats about a user.
- TwitterCounter: www.twittercounter.com Get Twitter stats on any user.
- Crowbooster www.crowdbooster.com Another analysis site that graphs how well your tweets are doing.
- wefollow: www.wefollow.com Tracks the top Twitter users based on the number of followers and lists them under different categories. From Kevin Rose of Digg fame.(site no longer exists)
- The Archivist: archivist.visitmix.com Twitter analysis
Organize and Filter
- Twitilist www.twitilist.com Easy twitter list management.
- Tweepi: www.tweepi.com Twitter management tool with stats. Free & paid options
- Twubs: twubs.com Twitter groups built around content aggregated from #hashtags.
- Mut.ly: www.mute.ly A simple tool that mutes a Twitter user (site no longer in service).
- TwitListManager: twitlistmanager.com A tool to make managing lists easier. My current favorite
- Tweetbeat tweetbe.at Nice tool to do searches and make lists from the results.
- Twylah: www.twylah.com Create an awesome looking website from your tweets organized by topic.
- Paper.li: www.paper.li Publish Twitter, content into an online newspaper and monitors your content sources to update your paper automatically
- Storify: www.storify.com Create social stories by curating social media content.
- Hashtags.org: www.hashtags.org The defacto standard for hashtag information.
- Rapportive www.rapportive.com Everything about your contacts right inside your inbox.
- Commun.it: www.commun.it Analyze the people you follow and buckets them according to influencers, top members and many more interesting details. Free & paid options
- List.ly: www.list.ly Twitter lists by topic.
- NearByTweets: www.nearbytweets.com (site no longer exists) geo-centric Twitter tool for social networking, building customer relationships, and monitoring real-time buzz.
- BackTweeets: www.backtweets.com Search for links on Twitter.
- Nurph: www.nurph.com Twitter community real-time group chat.
- TwitSprout: www.twitsprout.com Social Media dashboard. Free & paid.
- MentionMapp: www.mentionmapp.com app for exploring your Twitter network. Discover which people interact the most and what they’re talking about.
- TwitterLocal: www.twitterlocal.net A place for customers to connect to local businesses and then tweet about them. (site no longer in service)
- Twitterfeed: www.twitterfeed.com Feed your blog to Twitter, Facebook and more.
- Dlvr.ot: www.dlvr.it Distributes your blog to Twitter, Facebook and more.
- Twilert: www.twilert.com Google alerts for Twitter. Receive alerts via SMS from Twitter that match keywords.
- Summify: summify.com by Twitter. Summify sends you a summary of the most shared news stories from your Twitter network to your inbox.
- News.me: www.news.me Summary of important tweets sent to your inbox daily. Also an iPhone app.
- TwitterFall: www.twitterfall.com A waterfall or avalanche of tweets that are currently trending on twitter.
- Tweetwally: www.tweetwally.com A neat tool for creating a ‘tweetwall’. Choose hashtags, keywords or users and Tweetwally will display them on a dedicated web page.
- TwimeMachine: www.twimemachine.com Browse old tweets from your account.
My Favorite Sources and Resources (URLs for these are listed above except for Flip and Zite
- HootSuite hootsuite.com for desktop & iPad.
- Buffer: bufferapp.com Can’t live without this one. Can easily add to my cue from my browser or anywhere by email.
- Flip for iPad: flipboard.com Very visual way to look at your Twitter stream. Works for other social networks as well.
- Zite: www.zite.com iPad app not specifically for Twitter but allows you to see your Twitter stream visually. An aggregated magazine.
- Rapportive: www.rapportive.com Everything about your contacts right inside your inbox. I like seeing who it is that I’m communicating with via email.
- Bit.ly: www.bit.ly I use this to analyze what I post.
- Topsy. topsy.com My favorite social search engine.
- Social Mention: www.socialmention.com Real time social media monitoring. Great for seeing what the sentiment about a brand or topic is currently in social media not just Twitter.
- I now use TwitListManager. twitlistmanager.com I wish Twitter would just purchase these guys. I use this to manage my Twitter lists.
- BackUpify: www.backupify.com I use the free version to keep all my tweet as well as Facebook posts backed up.
- If This Then That: www.ifttt.com Automate Internet tasks. not specifically Twitter related but has a lot of useful Twitter recipes such as backing up all your tweets to Evernote.
Twitter Lists of Tools
- Definitive List of Twitter Tools twittertoolsbook.com/the-definitive-list-of-twitter-tools/ A list of tons of Twitter tools categorized.
- The Ultimate List of Twitter Tools thesocialmediaguide.com.au/social_media/the-ultimate-list-of-twitter-tools Tons of tools in categories. (page no longer exists)
- 99 Essential Twitter Tools www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/03/17/99-essential-twitter-tools-and-applications/ A 2009 article with brief descriptions of the various tools. Somewhat dated.
- Top 100 Twitter Tools: www.thewebpitch.com/twitter/top-100-twitter-tools/ A great list of even more Twitter tools but the list is somewhat dated.
- Twitter Tools List twittertoolslist.com Great source for all things Twitter.
- Definitive List of Twitter Tools twittertoolsbook.com/the-definitive-list-of-twitter-tools/ Another fairly comprehensive list of tools.
- 99 Essential Twitter Tools And Applications www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/03/17/99-essential-twitter-tools-and-applications/ Older and somewhat dated.
- 60 (Still Working) Twitter Tools to Manage Social Media www.highonseo.com/2012/12/60-working-twitter-tools/
- Twittermania: 140+ More Twitter Tools! mashable.com/2008/05/24/14-more-twitter-tools/
- The Ultimate List of Twitter Tools www.singlegrain.com/blog/the-ultimate-list-of-twitter-tools/
- The Only Twitter Applications List You’ll Ever Need www.squidoo.com/twitterapps
- Twitter Tools list.ly/list/1K3-twitter-tools
- The Most Complete Twitter Application List Available – 2011 Edition socialmediatoday.com/eric-goldstein/295232/most-complete-twitter-application-list-available-2011-edition